Illustrator EPS compatibility

Michael Müller-Hillebrand mmh at cap-studio.de
Thu Jun 5 12:22:14 PDT 2008

[I had a bad feeling dropping a message with a "loosely connected"
topic into another thread.]

When saving Illustrator files as EPS you have the choice to select
the Illustrator version, including a warning that you may loose some
features when saving as an older versions.

I also remember that there was a case when dashed lines from an
Illustrator EPS "escaped" from the encapsulation and created dashed
lines elsewhere after distilling to a PDF. This was with a certain
combination of FrameMaker and Acrobat versions. What I and others
learned was that EPS encapsulation is not always encapsulating the EPS.

In other words, I hear advice that you should stick to a certain
Illustrator version level for all EPS graphics unless your FrameMaker
version is younger than your Illustrator version - presumably to give
engineers the chance to improve the EPS import filter (or the PS
creating engine?).

Or is that a myth? Will FrameMaker 7.0 without a problem process EPS
files at Illustrator CS3 level?

If there is a dependency, I am looking for a compatibility table that
shows which versions of Illustrator EPS files are supported by which
version of FrameMaker.

Thanks,

- Michael

Michael Müller-Hillebrand: Dokumentation Technology
Adobe Certified Expert, FrameMaker
Consulting and Training, FrameScript, XML/XSL, Unicode
Blog [de]: http://cap-studio.de/