How FM use impacts purchasing decisions

Paul Findon pfindon at infopage.net
Thu Jun 19 13:04:33 PDT 2008

Hi Rene,

If Adobe had done the right thing by its customers and given us
FrameMaker for Mac OS X, we wouldn't be having this conversation, but...

I know several people who run Windows FrameMaker on their Intel Macs
with Parallels. I've not tried it with FrameMaker, but My son had
been on to me about installing parallels on his Intel iMac for a
while so he can run Microsoft Publisher, so last month we took the
plunge. Installation was surprisingly easy. In fact, installing
Windows seemed to proceed quicker than the last time I installed it
on my Pentium 4 PC.

Our copy of Windows XP (pre-SP1) is an upgrade, so we had to insert
our Windows 95 full version CD during installation (used the CD/DVD
Disconnect function), but Parallels handled it with ease. Then we
installed Windows XP SP2, AVG Free Anti-virus 8.0, Office, and Firefox.

Things were a bit tight with 1 GB of memory, but everything worked.
And running in Coherence mode, Windows apps appear side-by-side with
Mac apps, which is uncanny. The other day we popped in 4 GB memory
and Parallels runs even better. My son is happily producing his
Runescape booklets in Publisher, which we then print to PS, open in
Preview, save as PDF, and impose with Cheap Imposter. Even Mac OS X's
Spotlight search tool finds files on the virtual machine's C: drive.
Cool!

Popular Mechanics recently commented that "Macs run Vista better than
PCs" and from what I've seen so far, I can believe it.

<http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/17/macs-run-
vista-better-pcs>

One advantage of Parallels on Mac OS X is that if Windows or a pesky
app goes pear shaped (perish the thought), it doesn't take your
entire PC with it and require a reset. You simply kill the virtual
machine and re-open it. Parallels offer a 15-day free trial.

Incidentally, I've also tried Mac FrameMaker 6 and 7 on my son's
Intel Mac with Mac OS 9 running inside SheepShaver, an open source
Power PC emulator. Considering it's converting Intel and PowerPC
instructions on the fly, it's incredibly snappy. Much faster than
Virtual PC ever was. I can print to my networked LaserJet, connect to
other Macs on the network, access all of the files on the Mac OS X
side, sound works, boots up in 30 seconds, even the scroll ball on
the Mighty Mouse works (up/down only). It's not 100% stable and I'm
not suggesting anyone use it for work, but at this price...  Anyway,
I was gob smacked the first time I saw Mac OS X, Mac OS 9, and
WIndows XP all running simultaneously on the same Mac.

As you know, Mac OS X comes with an interactive spell checker built
in. I've gotten so used to it, that now I right-click while working
in Mac FrameMaker expecting a list of possible spelling suggestions
to appear. Alas, all I get is FrameMaker's contextual menu. OS X also
comes with a dictionary. OK. Not that exciting on it's own perhaps,
but if you press Command-Control-D in any app, a little dictionary
window instantly appears as you move the mouse over words. Now that's
cool!

Paul