cross references in text insets

Rene Stephenson rinnie1 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 3 11:37:28 PST 2008

Mollye,

All of our text insets are set to container doc formatting, and we have tons of them in tons of books. We set up a separate book file that points to all the text insets, and then we open all the files from that book minimized (FSL "open all files in book silently"). Then we open all the files in the book that has the container files and generate that book, selecting all the options except for applying master pages. Most of the time this is bullet-proof.

However, the sure-fire way to handle xrefs in a text inset is actually by using hypertext links rather than xrefs. The reason we don't do that here on a consistent basis has a lot more to do with some of our folks' limitations relating to the complexity of setting up hypertext markers with unique gotolink and newlink marker text than it does with best practices.

Rene L. Stephenson