delivering XML on the web

Yves Barbion yves.barbion at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 02:18:02 PDT 2008

Hi Mollye,

I'm currently also working on a fun project: authoring structured
content for a corporate website.

I'm using the DITA information model and I'm writing DITA topics in
FrameMaker with the DITA-FMx plug-in. This is how I do it:

   1. We do a brainstorm and make a list of the topics which we want to
      have on the site.
   2. We open this list in FrameMaker and save it as a regular,
      unstructured FrameMaker file. This list is resembles the
      traditional outline: the indents define the level of the topics
      and headings.
   3. We  use DITA-FMx to create a ditamap and "stubs" from this list.
      The "stubs" are topics which already have the correct title and
      some metadata.
   4. Write standalone, information-typed topics, which means filling in
      the stubs.
   5. We (re)arrange the topics in the ditamap, which will later become
      the sitemap.
   6. In the ditamap, use a "relationship table" to add links to my
      topics (navigation).

I use the DITA Open Toolkit to generate the following output:

    * xhtml. These are the files which I deliver to my web developer.
    * HTMLHelp, which I then convert to WebHelp. This gives me a pretty
      good idea of how my "pages" look in a web browser and how the
      navigation and linking works.

Lessons learned?

    * Authoring, and (re)structuring web content has never been easier.
      Just take the ditamap and drag the topics around in the structure
      to the position where you want to have them.
    * The DITA-FMx plug-in is really the must-have tool if you want to
      author DITA content in FrameMaker.

More information about DITA and DITA-FMx?

    * http://leximation.com/dita-fmx/
    * http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=dita
    * http://dita.xml.org/
    * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DITA