FrameMaker on Japanese OS

Paul Findon pfindon at infopage.net
Mon May 12 05:46:50 PDT 2008

Framers,

I've installed Win FrameMaker 8.0 (Japanese) on a PC running the
Japanese version of Windows XP. Everything seems to work OK except
for a rather odd message in File > Preferences > General > Nihongo
Kinou > Jouhou that says something along the lines of "although
FrameMaker can display Japanese text, most of the Japanese functions
are not available because it's not running on a version of Windows
that can display Japanese text in menus and dialog boxes." However,
the Japanese functions (rubi, kanji spacing, etc.) are all available
and working.

I'm running the Japanese version of Windows XP, and all the regional
settings, keyboard, time and date, etc., are set for Japan, so why
the curious message. Is FrameMaker confused?

Another oddity. When installing the 8.0.2 update, some of the
updater's dialog boxes appeared in French.

Anyone else experience this?

Paul