booklets

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Thu May 22 05:32:49 PDT 2008

Leah Smaller wrote:

> We also use the printer capabilites to produce booklets. We have run into
> one snag.
> The original FM files were produced for printing on A4 size paper and body
> text font size is TNR 10 pt. (of course, all other font sizes - headings,
> etc. - are extrapolated from the body text).
> The printer scales the content for booklet printing, so the text comes out
> pretty small. Our workaround was to modify the document using larger fonts
> (TNR 14 pt for Body pgf).
>
> Would adjusting the printers Enlarge setting solve the problem and obviate
> modifying all the docs destined for booklet printing? Or is there some other
> way around this?

The most direct approach is to take advantage of the way FrameMaker
separates content from the formatting. Create a template that uses the
actual page size of the booklet. Define the necessary paragraph formats
with the same names as your existing document but sizing and spacing
that is appropriate for the actual page size. Then either import the
content from the existing docs into the new template using the "Reformat
Using Current Document's Formatting" or import all the formats from the
new template into the existing docs. Either way, you're combining just
the content from the existing docs with just the formatting from the
new template.

The bottom line is I can see no good reason why the page size in
FrameMaker should ever be different from the physical size of the
deliverable. That seems to defeat the whole point of a WYSIWIG tool.

-FR