Cross-Reference/Hyperlink Question

Thu Oct 9 13:19:49 PDT 2008

Jona Steenbrink wrote:

> What I wonder is if there is a feature like you get in a lot of mail
> applications, where I can type the phrase "mission planning" or
> "Mission planning" and then highlight it and create a link to the
> Mission Planning section.

Yep, it's called hypertext.

1) Put your cursor in the Mission Planning heading and select Special >
Hypertext.

2) In the Hypertext dialog, set Command to Specify Named Destination.

3) In the box below, after the word "newlink," type a meaningful name
for this destination, like "mission_planning."

4) Click New Hypertext Marker.

5) Go to where you want to create a link and type "mission planning" or
"Mission planning" (or any other words you want to use as a link), and
then apply a suitable character format to the phrase (presumably, you
have a char format used for links).

6) With the phrase selected (or the cursor somewhere within it), select
Special > Hypertext again.

7) In the dialog set Command to Jump to Named Destination.

8) In the box below, after the word "gotolink," type the destination
name you used in step 3.

9) Make sure Validate Command is checked and click New Hypertext Marker.

If you mistyped the destination name or for some reason FM can't find
the destination, it displays an error message. Otherwise, your link is
created. You can verify it by Ctrl-Alt-clicking it.

HTH!
Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer