Problem with sequence in the Table of Contents (tables and following text)

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Tue Oct 28 01:57:55 PDT 2008

Terri,

You wrote:

Running non-structured FM 7.2 on Windows XP.
...The last two rows of the table flow to share a page with text. Each
row has the Report Name paragraph tag for the TOC.

The first paragraph after the table is tagged Heading 1.

When I generate the TOC, all of the Report Names on pages 1-7 list in
correct sequence.
The last two Report names (page 8) come after the page 8 Heading 1,
even though they appear on the page above the Heading 1.

Everything is in Flow A. I can't find any table or paragraph overrides.

If I force the page 8 Heading 1 to a new page, the generated TOC
sequence is correct.
If I really "tweak" the table so the last rows don't share a page with
the following text, the generated TOC sequence is correct.

The incorrect order is not related to overrides or multiple flows. When
FrameMaker creates the TOC, it first looks at regular paragraph content on
the page, and then at table content. This applies to FM8 as well.
(Interestingly, PDF bookmarks are retrieved in the right order.)

With a mix of table and non-table content on the same page, retrieved into
TOC, I'm afraid that the only workaround is to force the heading after the
table to start on a new page. (If this is an ongoing issue, you may
experiment with non-table layouts, eg with side heads).

Shlomo Perets

MicroType * http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers

"Improve Your FrameMaker Skills" live web-based training sessions