Problem with run-in heads

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Thu Sep 18 08:17:33 PDT 2008

Roger Jones wrote:
> I'm glad to be back after a long absence from Framers, and I am still on FM
> 7.0p579.
>
> I have a problem with run-in headings in a double-column format. All paras
> are set to 10pt fixed and there is no line feathering, but the run-in heads
> are misaligning the baselines across columns. A page full of text with no
> headings has perfect alignment; add a run-in heading and the right-hand
> column goes out of alignment from that point onwards. Setting columns to
> balance makes no difference.
>
> I need the run-ins because I want two paras on the same line, with
> automatic running heads picking up on one of them and not the other.
>
> Any clues, anyone?

Hi Roger,

The Fixed spacing refers only to line spacing within the pgf.  Do your
run-in heads have a larger font size, or a space above or below?  Those
could cause a misalignment with the other column.  Adjustment of the
space above should be able to bring them back in line.

HTH,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"The great enemy of clear language is insincerity. When there is a gap
between one's real and one's declared aims, one turns as it were
instinctively to long words and exhausted idioms, like a cuttlefish
squirting out ink."

— George Orwell