Text Insert Function -- Automatic Updates

DeRosier, Edward Edward.DeRosier at anritsu.com
Tue Aug 4 15:43:31 PDT 2009

Hello Framers,

We have text inserts within FrameMaker documents (files within a book).
We also use ePublisher for HTML help sets (generated from the FrameMaker
source files).

Our desire:

1. Update a text source (the source file that is the text insert).

2. Trigger ePublisher to automatically generate help sets from a list of
FrameMaker books.

3. See the updated text source (the file that is the text insert) in the
help set (already updated with the latest changes).

Our expectations from the FrameMaker book/help documents:

If imported text files are marked for "Automatic" updating, then the
updated imported text should be the latest version when the FrameMaker
file is opened (within the book of files).

Our experience:

The individual FrameMaker files do not have updated text in the document
sections with the imported text files until we manually update, either
from the individual file or from the book.

My writing group uses the following equipment:

FrameMaker 7.2  Version 7.2b144

Windows XP Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

(from desktop message):
Windows XP Professional
Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.080814-1233 (Service Pack 2)

Intel Core2 CPU
T7200 @ 2.00 GHz
998 MHz, 1.00 GB of RAM

Additional System Information:

OS Name:  Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version:  5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
System Manufacturer:  Dell Inc.
System Model:  Latitude D620
System Type:  X86-based PC
Processor:  x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~1997 Mhz

Example from my PC:

Total Physical Memory:  1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory:  400.05 MB
Total Virtual Memory:   2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory:  1.96 GB

My use of the FrameMaker functions (dialog boxes):

[1]
[File] => [Import] => [file...]

Import (dialog box opens)

(*) Import By Reference

Unknown File Type
(choose from list in "Convert From:)
then click [ Convert ]

[2]
Import Text file... (dialog box opens)

(*) Merge Lines into Paragraphs
    (Blank lines are paragraph breaks.)
( ) Treat Each Line as a Paragraph
( ) Convert to Table...

Updating of Imported Text

(*) Automatic
( ) Manual

Encoding: [ ANSI (Windows)     ]

[ Import ]

By our thinking, this should be sufficient for the task that we need.
However, when we open the Help Set or the FrameMaker document, the text
insert is not yet updated.  We can proceed as follows:

[3]
[Edit] => [Update References...] => Update References

Update References (dialog box opens)

Update:

[ ] All Cross-References
[ ] Text Inserts Marked for Manual Update
[X] Text Inserts marked for Automatic Update
[ ] OLE Links Marked for Manual Update
[ ] OLE Links Marked for Automatic Update

[ Update ]

Referenced text is immediately updated.
But we want the file to be updated when ePublisher refreshes the help
set.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Ed DeRosier