Follow up on Handling Large Books in FrameMaker

Kelly McDaniel kmcdaniel at pavtech.com
Wed Feb 4 10:45:14 PST 2009

When you work locally, the primary processing choke points are CPU clock
speed, bus speed, and hard drive read/write transfer rate. Swap file
available space and hard drive available space also come into play, but
we're comparing local to network access.

When you work over a LAN, the transfer rates are much, much less than
clock, bus, and drive head. TCP/IP retransmits dropped and corrupted
packets, network traffic has an impact, plus, your sysadmin may throttle
applications that are not mission-critical at their discretion...Kelly.