Follow up on Handling Large Books in FrameMaker

Alan Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Wed Feb 4 11:13:36 PST 2009

As suggested by others in the other thread, 650 pages is not that
large and LANs do not limit their capacity by the number of pages in
book but by the volume of packets that are flowing at any particular
time. But as it is, it is very unlikely that FM would time out unless
there are other problems with your book and in this case that is what
appears to be the case.

Causes for a crash when opening the files in a book are limited. I
would suggest you check the graphics. Are there OLE linked/embedded
graphics? What graphics formats are you using? How many graphics are
there per file (as related to the RAM on your computer)? Are the
graphics all linked or embedded, or both? Are there links to other
kinds of objects, e.g. Visio files, Word files, Excel files,...?

At which file does FM crash? Does it do this consistently? Does FM
crash if you try opening this file on its own? Does FM crash if all
the files are opened directly, as opposed to opening them with the
book file?

Alan

--
Alan Litchfield MBus(Hons), MNZCS