MIF2Go: specifying anchor names

Michael Müller-Hillebrand mmh at cap-studio.de
Fri Jan 9 08:24:55 PST 2009

As an aside, i.e. not answering the original question: I have heard
such requests also, but in most cases it is a misunderstanding of the
concept of an ID! I am sure you tried to talk the client out of it,
but, anyway, I will give you some more reasons *not* to use
descriptive IDs or anchor names:

* Who guarantees the uniqueness of the anchor names, before and after
translation? Or speaking in business case: Who pays for the effort
needed to manage all used anchor names?

* In translation tools marker content can be seen and will be
translated if it is natural language text! This most probably breaks
the links in other languages.

* In XML there are certain limits what kind of characters an ID may
consist of, like beginning with a ASCII letter (I seem to remember).
So there might be problems if the oh so descriptive term starts with a
digit or with an accented character from a foreign language.

Even if those reasons are not applicable for your current project, it
is always a good idea to see potential problems before the clients
asks us to fix them.

- Michael

Am 09.01.2009 um 16:44 schrieb Rick Quatro:

> <h3><a name="Xaf1003728"></a>access</h3>
>
> My links are like this:

> href="#Xaf1003728">access</a> to a resource to a requestor based...</
> p>
>
> Now my client has thrown me what I hope is a little curve: they want
> more
> descriptive anchor names; for example,
>
> <h3><a name="access"></a>access</h3>
> href="#access">access</a>
> to a resource to a requestor based...</p>

Michael Müller-Hillebrand: Dokumentations-Technologie
Adobe Certified Expert, FrameMaker
Lösungen und Training, FrameScript, XML/XSL, Unicode
Blog: http://cap-studio.de/ - Tel. +49 (9131) 28747