Frame crashes when importing large XML file

Michael Müller-Hillebrand mmh at cap-studio.de
Tue Jul 7 16:02:18 PDT 2009

Am 06.07.2009 um 11:25 schrieb Diane Gaskill:

> Hi everyone,
>
> FM8, structured
> XML, DocBook 4.2  (I know, I know. Not my idea, but an OEM customer
> requires
> it).
> WinXP Pro
> 4 GB RAM
> 160 GB HDD

I noticed memory leaks starting with FrameMaker 7.2. Memory was not
released after opening XML files and if you opened a lot of XML files
you run into trouble sooner or later.

The problem was/is still there in FrameMaker 8. In a recent project
with custom XML files (used to create ~250 page books with ~20 chapter
files) FrameMaker 8 always crashed while opening the third book.

The good news: FrameMaker 9.0.2 processed the exact same XML files
without a problem, 21 books in a row.

Maybe you can make a test with FrameMaker 9.

- Michael

Michael Müller-Hillebrand: Dokumentations-Technologie
Adobe Certified Expert, FrameMaker
Lösungen und Training, FrameScript, XML/XSL, Unicode
Blog: http://cap-studio.de/ - Tel. +49 (9131) 28747