Importing HTML files into FrameMaker 8.p257 or thereabouts: some questions

Jeremy H. Griffith jeremy at omsys.com
Thu Jul 9 11:43:29 PDT 2009

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 13:10:30 +0200, "Shell, Robert" <rshell at iafrica.com> wrote:

>I have a huge and thankless job of preparing and indexing many thousands of
>poorly scanned documents from HTML into FM for professional use. I do not
>think there are many shortcuts, but I wonder if there is some way to import
>the html text and or tables so that they can be placed in FM tables *more or
>less* as they first appeared. I have looked at the FM manuals, but this
>procedure seems to be a will o' the wisp. The www claims there are filters,
>but the urls expired a long time ago. Maybe I am missing something?
>I am so thankful for this list!

Our condolences.  ;-)

One possibility you might look at is Madcap's Flare.  It imports
HTML, and exports Frame.  I haven't used it myself, but they do
have a trial version, so you could see if it would work with your
content.  It's a bit pricey ($899), but with "thousands of docs"
that comes out to under $1 each, and I suspect your time is worth
more than that.  ;-)

The import/output list for Flare 5 is at:
  http://www.madcapsoftware.com/products/flare/features.aspx

And I've heard good things about their tech support, which you
surely will need on a project of this sort...

HTH!