Overprint graphic does not overprint when printing to PDF with FrameMaker 8.0p277

Simon BUCH simon.buch at m-ais.com
Fri Mar 6 07:11:00 PST 2009

Dear Framers,

It has been quite a long time since I last accessed FrameUsers ... but I
am now asking if anyone has any experience with issues regarding FM8
printing errors?

The reason I ask is because I have an interesting PDF file, which was
created by our customer using CADscript.  The PDF when opened in Acrobat
[version 6 onwards] displays correctly - with the contours and elevation
of the mountains shown in the custom spot colour.   Acrobat displays the
contours and elevation numbers even if the Acrobat "Overprint preview"
option is *not* enabled.

When I import the PDF into FrameMaker 7.1, the graphic is shown
correctly.   When I print from FM7.1 to the "Adobe PDF" printer, the
resultant PDF output also displays correctly.   When I import the PDF
into FrameMaker 8.0p277, the graphic is also shown correctly.

Everything is good so far ... until when I print from FM8.0 to the
"Adobe PDF" printer, the resultant PDF output makes the overprint area
knocked out.

We have tried FM8 with the Adobe PDF printer from Acrobat 6, Acrobat 8
Elements [the one shipped with FM8] and also the latest Acrobat 9
Professional - all with the same results.

Does anyone have any suggestions, recommendations, etc.?

Regards
// Simon BUCH -- M-AIS