problems with long URLs in PDFs

Jakob Fix jakob.fix at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 08:36:37 PDT 2010

Hi,

co-workers of mine have trouble with some long URLs that break over
lines and some may also contain "special" characters such as question
marks or parentheses. Please note that we're using Acrobat to create
the PDF and that the Generate Tagged PDF option is selected (as
documented here: http://www.frameusers.com/2007/09/ second article).
We use the latest patched FrameMaker 8.

Here are some samples of this problem, I give as the "underlying link"
what FrameMaker and Acrobat thought should be the URL to use:

- line break (indicated as [LB]) and question mark in URL:
http://www.aiaa.org/aerospace/Article.cfm?[LB]issuetocid=14&ArchiveIssueID=5
underlying link: http://www.aiaa.org/aerospace/Article.cfm?

- parentheses in URLs:
http://www.olis.oecd.org/olis/2007doc.nsf/linkto/com-env-epoc-ctpa-cfa(2007)31-final
underlying link:
http://www.olis.oecd.org/olis/2007doc.nsf/linkto/com-env-epoc-ctpa-cfa

- two URLs on same line become one:
International Transport Forum, for the OECD/ITF Global Forum on
Transport and Environment in [LB]
a Globalising World, held in Guadalajara, Mexico, 10-12 November 2008
(www.oecd.org/dataoecd/ [LB]
12/53/41612575.pdf  and
www.internationaltransportforum.org/2009/workshops/pdf/ [LB
Environmental.pdf). Some paragraphs are also taken from the paper The
Impact of Globalisation on [LB]

underlying link (note concatenated links + text):
http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/12/53/41612575.pdfandwww.internationaltransportforum.org/2009/workshops/pdf/
Environmental.pdf

Thanks for any input.

cheers,