Cross-references and text insets

Peter Kelly pkelly at oriongis.com
Wed Apr 21 06:57:58 PDT 2010

Hi everybody,

We are working with unstructured FM 8 on Vista. I have a chapter which
has several user workflows all of which have one or two procedures that
are common, so I decided to use text insets. At the beginning of each
workflow then I have summaries of all the steps that cross-reference the
procedures. Sometimes the same procedure (a text inset) might be in
several workflows.

All this to say that I have cross-references to the same text inset that
appears in several places in the same container document. I have tried
manually placing the marker inside the text inset file and then
inserting the cross-references from the container document. When I
create the cross-reference I select target paragraphs from within the
current container document. When I update the book file though the page
number of the first text inset seems to be propagated to all the other
cross-references. I thought the whole point of text insets was to reuse
them multiple times even in the same container document if need be. I
guess not if they need to be cross-referenced? Am I doing something
wrong or should I just forget about trying to cross-reference the same
text inset in several places in the same container document?

Best indeed,

Peter Kelly

ROLTA CANADA LIMITED

www.oriongis.com