HTML Conversion Problems

Don Spencer beamwardpublications at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 24 10:40:05 PST 2010

Hi, Everyone:

To begin with, I ask that some of you might respond directly to this e-mail
address, since I have subscribed with three different e-mail addresses to
the list (A couple of years ago, I was an active member, receiving digests
and trading e-mails easily.) and none of the several addresses, all
earthlink.net by the way, have received any e-mail confirmation or other
such. Brad has been helpful in subscribing these addresses at his end, but
still I have an inbox empty of list digests, though any other activity seems
to work fine.

Be that as it may, I will address the FrameMaker problem at hand. And please
forgive the ignorance and amateurishness of a retired movie carpenter trying
his hand at self publication.

Currently, I am attempting to convert a FrameMaker book which I generated
successfully as a PDF some years ago, into a single HTML file for submission
to Kindle Reader. Though I had some success with Mif2Go in terms of
replacing the numbering in the Index and maintaining some of the heading
numbering within the text, I abandoned that program because Mif2Go generates
multiple htm files, and Kindle wants a single file. Furthermore, it kept
dropping cross-reference links, some would work. Some wouldn't.

However, FrameMaker's built-in Save As capability produces just what's
needed: a single HTML file linked to the numerous graphics, all renamed for
the new book. And every single cross reference link (except one in the TOC
to the index which I fixed with MSWord) seems to be working. All well and
good.

Problem is, I can't get FrameMaker to produce exactly the hyper-text book I
want. Getting rid of page numbers was easy, remove the pound sign from the
master pages. For the TOC, I formatted the building block paragraph tag in
the reference pages to white. For the Index, I changed cross reference tag
in the references pages to the Symath True Type font, and the results is an
intriguing jumble of math symbols which link nicely to various places in the
text.

BUT, despite my efforts to work the HTML Mapping Tables in the reference
pages, only the TOC entries show the heading auto numbers. Within the text,
the headings are all numberless. Even though I have identified their numbers
in the headings table and made entries into the mapping table with the Use
Autonumbering column entries changed from N to Y.

Also, all the cross references add the word "See" despite the fact that I
removed the word "See" from the Replace With column in the Cross-Ref Macro
table.

Sorry for this extensive posting. Had I been in contact with the list, I
would have shortened it into several such.
And thanks to all who take the time to read through this, even if you can't
find the time to respond.

Last of all, Happy Holidays to each and every one.

~ Don Spencer

beamwardpublications at earthlink.net
donandjudy1 at earthlink.net
setdoordonny at earthink.net