Automatic application of right/left template when reaching end of file

Tue Feb 2 11:07:57 PST 2010

mathieu jacquet wrote:

> I'm using FM 9.0 on Vista 64.
>
> When reaching the end of a file, FM behaves like it does not know
which
> template I'd like applied on the next page, even though I specified it
> several times before. This forces me to reapply my Left, Right and
First
> templates each time I add pages. I guess this is regular behaviour,
but how
> can I have the proper template applied when adding pages? This'd be
pretty
> helpful.

To clarify, what you're talking about are called master pages, not
templates (I point this out so that you can find information about them
easier in the help, book, and archives, and so people will recognize
your problem more quickly).

What do you mean by "each time I add pages"? If your main flow has
Autoconnect turned on, FM adds new pages as needed to accommodate
additional text. To check, select a main flow text frame, select
Graphics > Object Properties, and in the dialog box, look in the Flow
section on the lower right.

When it adds new pages, FM bases them on the built-in Right master page
if the document is single-sided, and it alternates between the Left and
Right master pages if the document is double-sided. To check, select
Format > Page Layout > Pagination.

On your last body page, select Format > Page Layout > Master Page Usage.
Make sure Use Master Page is set to Right/Left. Under Apply To, set the
range to include all but your first page, make sure Even (Left) and Odd
(Right) are selected, and click Apply.

If none of the above help resolve the problem, something weird is going
on -- post again with more information (including what happened when you
did the above).

HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer