One paragraph style -> Many Elements

Lynne A. Price lprice at txstruct.com
Mon Feb 15 07:52:40 PST 2010

At 10:50 AM 2/12/2010, Eric Geissinger wrote:
>I'm working on an unstructured Frame book, getting it structured via the
>Conversion Table method (Frame 9) using a custom EDD.

>What is the best way to map a single paragraph style (for example,
>heading_2) to differently named containers depending on the content of the
>paragraph style (text).

Eric,
   Since a conversion table is not context sensitive, the earlier responses
that a conversion table cannot handle this situation is correct. Rather
than manual retagging, however, what I do in this situation is use a
conversion table to create a preliminary structure. I save the result as
XML and use XSLT (which can look at both the element tagging derived from
the conversion table and the content) to create the final structure which I
then read back into FrameMaker. Since the XSLT transform can be run as
either a postprocess on the original save or a preprocess on the import, to
the user the conversion appears to involve three steps:

1) Apply the conversion table

2) Save the result as a temporary XML file

3) Open the XML

   XSLT can do other useful things such as remove content that was typed in
the unstructured document but becomes a prefix or suffix in the structured
version.

         --Lynne

Lynne A. Price
Text Structure Consulting, Inc.
Specializing in structured FrameMaker consulting, application development,
and training
lprice at txstruct.com            http://www.txstruct.com
voice/fax: (510) 583-1505      cell phone: (510) 421-2284