How to find "Unavailable Fonts"

Tue Jan 12 09:50:36 PST 2010

Syed.Hosain wrote:

> > If you have all the files open, and the book update still fails,
> something very odd is going on, and it may have nothing to do with the
> missing fonts. Are you getting any kind of error message (check the
> Console) after you try to update? Are the time stamps of the generated
> files changing when you do a book update, or do they remain unchanged?
>
> No other error on the FrameMaker console, unfortunately!
>
> The files do change time-stamps, so the system is writing them ...

OK, the fonts aren't the problem. And FM appears to be updating the
generated list files.

Just to confirm that the content is being regenerated, go to one of the
headings that appears in the TOC and temporarily change the wording or
add something at the end. Then update the book and verify that the TOC
entry picked up the change you made.

You mentioned both the contents and index -- are there update problems
with both? Those are very different files -- one is generated from
markers, and the other from a list of pgf tags to include. What exactly
are the problems with each?

The most likely cause of entries missing from a TOC is mismatch of a pgf
tag names. In the book window, right-click the TOC file and select Set
Up Table of Contents. In the dialog, verify that the Include Paragraphs
Tagged list contains everything it should and note the spelling of the
names. In the chapter file(s), go to a pgf that's missing from the TOC
and check the tag name. If it's "Heading 1" in your TOC setup, a pgf
tagged with "heading 1" or "Heading1" won't be included in the TOC. I'm
not sure about "Heading 1 " (with a trailing space).

If there are missing index entries, check the Set Up Standard Index
dialog, too, and verify that the Include Markers of Type list contains
Index and any other marker type you've used for index entries. Then go
to your chapter files and examine the markers that should be generating
index entries, but aren't. Again, the marker type name must match
exactly what's specified in the setup.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.