How to find "Unavailable Fonts"

Syed.Hosain at aeris.net Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Tue Jan 12 12:05:04 PST 2010

> OK, the fonts aren't the problem. And FM appears to be updating the
generated list files.

With help from a respondee on this list, I found and fixed the missing
font problem. Sent out an e-mail about that! :)

> Just to confirm that the content is being regenerated, go to one of
the headings that appears in the TOC and temporarily change the wording
or add something at the end. Then update the book and verify that the
TOC entry picked up the change you made.

Those are indeed failing at the moment ...

> You mentioned both the contents and index -- are there update problems
with both?

Yes. Neither is being properly updated at this point. In my own books, I
have never had the content or the index file fail to get updated - this
is somewhat of a new experience (inspite of years of using FM!),
although I know others have seen it. I've been lucky! :)

> Those are very different files -- one is generated from markers, and
the other from a list of pgf tags to include.

Yup. :)

> What exactly are the problems with each?

1. The Contents .FM file is not updating when changes are made to the
header sections in the main document .FM file.
2. The Index .FM file is not updating from changes to any marker in the
main document .FM file.
3. In the PDF that I generate from what comes out now, the pointer
changes to the "finger" when hovering the mouse over the Section (in the
Content) or the page number (in the Index), but clicking does not work
at all - there is no reload to the actual page.
4. Sidebar: clicking on links to web sites *inside* the main document do
cause my browser to be brought up, web site found, etc.

So, the problem appears to be in the Contents and Index files ... not in
the main document. So, I am going to focus on those areas.

> The most likely cause of entries missing from a TOC is mismatch of a
pgf tag names. In the book window, right-click the TOC file and select
Set Up Table of Contents. In the dialog, verify that the Include
Paragraphs Tagged list contains everything it should and note the
spelling of the names. In the chapter file(s), go to a pgf that's
missing from the TOC and check the tag name. If it's "Heading 1" in your
TOC setup, a pgf tagged with "heading 1" or "Heading1" won't be included
in the TOC. I'm not sure about "Heading 1 " (with a trailing space).

> If there are missing index entries, check the Set Up Standard Index
dialog, too, and verify that the Include Markers of Type list contains
Index and any other marker type you've used for index entries. Then go
to your chapter files and examine the markers that should be generating
index entries, but aren't. Again, the marker type name must match
exactly what's specified in the setup.

Thanks! I will start this checking process sometime - tomorrow most
likely - and report back when I get a chance.