How to find "Unavailable Fonts"

Kat Nagel lists at masterworkconsulting.com
Wed Jan 13 16:36:45 PST 2010

On 2010-01-11 12:14 AM, Syed.Hosain at aeris.net wrote:
> Hmmm ... now the console is telling me:
>
> The "Arial" Font is not available.
>    "Arial" will be used in this session.
> The "Arial" Font is not available.
>    "Arial" will be used in this session.
> The "Arial" Font is not available.
>    "Arial" will be used in this session.
> The "Arial" Font is not available.
>    "Arial" will be used in this session.
>
> Huhn?!? I know I have Arial, of course ... and if this font were not
> available to begin with, how could FM 8 say "will be used in this
> session"?

Perhaps the Arial font you have is from a different publisher (or a
different format) than the Arial font the original author used.

This sort of thing drove me bonkers.

Arial/TrueType, Arial/OpenType, Arial/Unicode and ArialMT(PostScript)
all show up in font lists as "Arial," but FrameMaker may see them as
different fonts. Also, I've run into conflicts between "Arial" purchased
directly from Monotype, "Arial" purchased in a bundle from a third-party
font distributor, and the "Arial" that came with Word.

A suggestion:
Try substituting some alternate font, such as TNR, for Arial across the
entire book. Then, back-substitute YOUR version of Arial for the
alternate font.

Hope this helps.

K@
Kat Nagel
"The transformation of calories into words, of words into money,
  and of money into calories again are the three basic cycles in a
  freelance writer's metabolism."_Poison Pen_ by Mary Kittredge