Difference Between Save As and Print to Adobe PDF

Fei Min Lorente FeiMin.Lorente at onsemi.com
Fri Jan 29 06:43:55 PST 2010

FrameMaker 7.2p158 on Windows XP.

I know that several authorities on this list have warned us against
using Save As to convert a FrameMaker book to PDF, but it's always
worked for me, and it's just so darned convenient.

Now the question has come up about printing to Adobe PDF because that's
what our automated process does through Mif2Go, and the suggestion came
up that I should use the same method when I'm manually creating a PDF
for testing. It's just a bit more inconvenient for me because it always
saves the file in a default location (My Documents), so I have to move
it after it's done.

So I just thought I would ask if there's any significant difference
between the two methods. By significant, I mean would the size be any
different? Would the document look different? Would any metadata be
different? I run a link checker as a matter of course, and they're
always clean. By the way, I have TimeSavers installed, and it seems to
apply equally to either method.

Fei Min

Fei Min Lorente
Senior Technical Communicator