Customizing underline formatting

Tue Jul 13 13:34:02 PDT 2010

Laura Norton wrote:

> Does anyone know whether it's possible to customize the line style
> attributes used when the Underline check box is selected in the
> Character Designer and Paragraph Designer (Default Font tab) and
> Double Underline is chosen?

None that I'm aware of, not even via MIF.

> Our tech docs group is looking for the ability to create a custom
> Double Underline Character style that can be applied to selected
> inline text  vs. a paragraph style applied to an entire line. In the
> latter case, we would simply define the line style on the Reference
> page.

It would be kludgy, and require manual fussing if the text were changed so that lines reflowed, but you could theoretically fake it using run-in head paragraphs: NotUnderlinedRunInHead, followed by UnderlinedRunInHead (with Frame Below Pgf setting providing the underlining), followed by StandardBody.

Personally, I can't imagine going to that much trouble to tweak the underlining. I'd just learn to live with FM's standard double underlining. But it's been rumored that I'm somewhat lazy. ;-)

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom