Can't delete rogue colors

Jeremy H. Griffith jeremy at omsys.com
Mon Mar 15 14:16:14 PDT 2010

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 14:37:03 -0600, "Spectrum Writing"
<info at spectrumwritingllc.com> wrote:

>I have been only sporadically paying attention to the list recently, so if
>this has been asked/answered recently, I beg forgiveness upfront. In a
>recent project, I received a 300 dpi JPEG to use for the cover image of a
>user's manual. Y'all helped me through that one (getting a square image to
>fit a rectangular page without really distorting the image/losing pixels,
>etc. so thanks!)
>
>I imported the image by reference and when I went to update the book, I got
>a long involved nastygram about how my colors were now inconsistent across
>the rest of the files. I expected that, but figured I would deal with it
>later as I was on a ridiculously tight timeline. Today, I am working on
>creating a brand new template for a new client and the template is not in
>the same directory path, the offending jpeg is not being imported, and so
>on. Under View > Color > Definitions,  I see the whole offending list of
>colors that I was being warned about on Friday. I thought that I would just
>be able to select each offending color and click Delete, but the Delete
>button is not available for these colors. (and next to Ink Name, the word
>"None" is displayed and is grayed-out.) OK, so I tried saving the file as a
>.mif, and opening the .mif to delete the colors, but same issue - the Delete
>button is grayed out and the Ink Name is None. I am stumped. This file isn't
>even in the same folder as the manual with the graphic that caused all of
>this, the offending graphic isn't being imported -

You're assuming that the JPEG caused the problem.  It didn't.
It can't.  The problem comes from one of two other graphic
types, either EPS, or a PNG using a color map (rather than
24-bit color).  You could make it go away by replacing the
EPS with a PDF, or changing the PNG to use 24-bit colors.

>shouldn't I be able to
>keep different color definitions for different templates?

I don't think so, not in the same book.

HTH!