Can you put a fillable PDF in a Frame document?

Rick Quatro rick at rickquatro.com
Tue Mar 23 11:23:36 PDT 2010

Hi Jenny,

When you import the PDF files into FrameMaker, they will be treated as
static graphics with no interactivity. The only way I know of to do this is
to create your forms in FrameMaker. Then you add Hypertext markers using
MicroType's TimeSavers with Forms Assistant; you add special codes to these
markers, and when you create the PDF, these will create the appropriate form
fields on the fly. There are main things to consider:

1) You have to design your forms in FrameMaker using objects like tables,
text frames, etc. Certain forms can be difficult to create in FrameMaker.

2) You have to have TimeSavers and Forms Assistant installed when you
distill the file (http://www.microtype.com).

The advantages are that you can single source your forms and other content
using FrameMaker. And you can change the look and feel of your form and
redistill, and not have to recreate your form fields.

I recently did a couple of forms like this and was pretty happy with the
results. It was especially worthwhile when I had to make changes to the look
of the form. I resized the table containing my form items, added a couple of
extra columns, and when I created the new PDF, my form fields were in the
right place at the right size. Very slick.

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments. Thank you very
much.

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing Inc.
585-659-8267