freezing pagination in a structured document

Rick Quatro rick at rickquatro.com
Fri Nov 12 14:51:27 PST 2010

Hi Ed,

The Freeze Pagination command does not work with structured documents. The
command is now undocumented and unsupported so using it is a bit risky in
unstructured documents. The only solution is to split the document and set
up the page numbering you want in your "revision" file.

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing Inc.
585-659-8267
rick at frameexpert.com

*** Frame Automation blog at http://frameautomation.com

I am trying to get FrameMaker to freeze page counting in the middle of a
file. The reason is I'd like to be able to print a book with temporary
revision pages in between the permanent pages. I can't use separate files to
control the page numbering because the temp revision pages often start and
end in the middle of a section. Example:

3.1.1 (right master page)
3.1.2 (left master page)
page 1 of 4 (temp revision, green master page)
page 2 of 4 (temp revision, green master page)
3.1.3 (right master page)
3.1.4 (left master page)

The problem is Frame auto counts page 1 of 4 and page 2 of 4 as pages in the
section and therefore the next master page starts at page 3.1.5 instead of
page 3.1.3.

The document is structured and therefore the Freeze Pagination command does
not work.

Thank you,

Ed