(FM 9) layout for die-cut side tabs with text?

Alan T Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Thu Oct 7 12:52:25 PDT 2010

On 5/10/2010, at 9:19 AM, Edmondson, Becky wrote:

> We want to create a doc with manila-folder-style tabs on the chapter
> headers. The tabs are to be a solid color and have some text on them.

So far, pretty standard stuff :)

> I know how to create bleeding tabs and  how to size and position the
> graphics box to allow for the die-cut trim. My problem is figuring
> how to get the text placed on the part of the tab that projects
> outside of the FM page edge.

So let me get this straight. When the job is to be printed, you want
the text to be trimmed off and thrown away, right?

> I put the text in a table, inside of a textbox, inside of the
> graphics box, and then rotated the table.

Yep. Sounds about right.

> So far so good. But Frame resists every effort to move it outside of
> the page. Partially moving the text box off the page, so that the
> bottom of the box is visible on the page, doesn't work.

That's because it is designed to have objects on the page, and will
then be printed, not off the page.

> I am truly stumped. Can't find anything on the web about this.
> Anyone know how to do this?

And that is because when people put objects on the page it is because
they want them to be included in the print job, otherwise they don't
put them on the page. Why do you want to move the text off the page
anyway? If that is what you want, why not just delete it now?

??
Alan

--
Alan T Litchfield