(FM 9) layout for die-cut side tabs with text?

Edmondson, Becky bedmondson at ahurascientific.com
Sat Oct 16 11:34:26 PDT 2010

OK, I figured this out.

For those curious about what I'm doing: I am setting up pages for die-cut tabs. The tabs extend beyond the trim lines of the page, just like manila folder tabs. I need to get some text on those tabs, which means I need to move a text box out there.

Turns out you can position anything of any size off of the page, *as long as one edge of its bounding box is on the page*. And Frame makes it easy for you. Create an object (text box, filled object), and press CTL-ALT to move it off the page. Frame will move it until one edge is right at the page edge and no farther.

Create a PDF with trim marks. You will see the object outside of the page.

The hard part is calculating how to position the text boxes. You have to figure out the horizontal and vertical center of each tab, then how big to make the text box to center it's middle on that point.

Cheers,
Becky

***** All information contained in this email should be considered confidential and proprietary.   *****