(FM 9) layout for die-cut side tabs with text?

Alan T Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Sun Oct 17 12:13:48 PDT 2010

Hi Becky,

I am not certain how you are going to have this processed in pre-press
but in my experience with pre-press operators is that they really hate
it when they have to delete and rebuild crop marks on multi-page pdfs.
Especially if they are reflecting left/right page layouts.

The page shown onscreen in Framemaker (and different to page layout
programs like InDesign that include the pasteboard) is the physical
page that is enclosed by crop/trim marks. That means what you see on
the page is that area that is bounded by the excess that will be
chopped off when the page has been printed. Typically anything outside
the page boundary will not exist when the job is done.

If you are wanting to die-cut anything on a page you need to have that
within the trim marks (on the physical page shown in FrameMaker)
otherwise you are forcing the pre-press operator to create arbitrary
trim marks for you. They may or may not be accurate because they were
not created at the time that the document was and they will not have
been created by the program that created the file was.

That is why you received the earlier responses that you did. You need
to consider creating a die-cut on your page master pages and put
inside that the page elements you want on the finished printed page.
The page dimensions would be the standard page size you are working
with, say A4 (210mm x 297mm), plus the tab dimensions which would add
an additional 15mm (at a guess). This would make your actual page size
225mm x 297mm. You would have two die-cut images that reflect each
other for right and left pages, and of course however many die-cuts
you have running down the page would necessitate additional image file
pairs.

If you are splitting this up into sections/chapters denoted by the die-
cut tabs then each file would have a slightly different master page
with a different die-cut image pair.

The die-cut image files will have the same spot colour that is not
used in the document. Do not use something like black, magenta, or
cyan for it. The die-cut knife makers will need to be able to produce
separations so they can program their machine that makes the knife (if
it is automated) or produce accurate film output (if they are doing it
by hand, which many do).

HIH
Alan