convert inline elements to xrefs

Jakob Fix jakob.fix at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 09:05:14 PDT 2010

Thanks everybody for their input such as:

* use a FrameMaker plugin called Node Wizard. This could work very
well if the target element wouldn't be an element of type
Cross-Reference which is "special" and can't easily be generated, at
least that's what I've seen from a quick test. I'd love to be told
that there is a way.

* write a FrameScript - I'm no expert, but this could well be a
possibility, and the documents would stay in Frame (i.e. no loss of
manual formatting tweaks).

* write an XSLT transformation. I know how to do this, but: The
FrameMaker files have already suffered manual tweaks which, I think,
would be lost when exporting to XML.

* write a script (Python). well, yes, probably, but first you need to
get the FrameMaker files into a format that's readable by Python, such
as XML (see above).

* I also thought then to use the FM -> MIF -> XML+XSLT -> MIF -> FM
route which would at least retain the manual modifications, or not?

For this I looked at and downloaded Leximation's MIFML tool, which is
documented to be able to read 7.2 files. We're using 9.0 for this
project. Have there been any dramatic changes between these two
versions on the MIF format?
There's also a three year-old MIF <-> XML tool written in Java by the
guys from O'Reilly
(http://left.subtree.org/2007/01/25/converting-mif-to-xml/) but again
it's probably not ready to grok the latest and greatest MIF.

any more thoughts?

Thanks,
Jakob.