Disappearing conditions in x-refs

Tue Sep 7 11:16:38 PDT 2010

Danny Lombardi wrote:

> What I mean is, if you create an x-ref --> "Installing the Client" on page
> 82 -- and condition it Print Only. Then update the book file (in Frame) and
> show Help Only (i.e. hide Print Only). All or part of the x-ref will become
> unconditioned, so you might see only "on page 82" or the whole x-ref.
>

> In our attempt to resolve the issue, we realized that Webworks omits the
> page number automatically, so we weren't sure what purpose "HiddenOnline"
> (a
> character style) serves in the x-ref definition created by the designer:
>
> </><HiddenOnline>\`<$paratext><HiddenOnline>\' on page\ <$pagenum></>

This cross-reference format definition makes no sense. It applies the default paragraph font (</>), and then immediately applies the HiddenOnline character style, and then later applies it again. Either your template designer lacked some basic understanding, or someone has come along afterward and screwed things up. Is the x-ref format defined the same way in other files? What about the original template files? (You do have the original, unchanged template files, don't you?)

How is HiddenOnline defined? The name doesn't really make sense -- the only way a char format can "hide" something is by making the text white, and that's certainly not going to work in running text. So I can't imagine the purpose of a char format with that name.

Do you really want _no_ x-refs in the help, or does the doc contain a pair of x-refs for each instance, one tagged Print Only and the other tagged Help Only? Whatever the case, you shouldn't be conditionalizing x-refs in FM. Redefine them in WebWorks instead.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom