Invisible numbers are appearing on the PDF file

Fri Sep 17 07:57:52 PDT 2010

Fei Min Lorente wrote:

> - I want the chapter numbers to appear in a different place from the
> chapter title. They are off to the left and centered in a pretty
> graphic. I couldn't do this if the chapter number was part of the
> paragraph that contains the chapter title text. Since the number that
> appears is a separate paragraph, I can't use this number in the TOC.
> Hence the reason for a tiny, invisible chapter number.

But you don't need an invisible autonumber in the chapter title to have its chapter number appear in the TOC. My setup is quite similar to yours (minus the pretty graphic). Here's the TitleChapterTOC pgf from my ref page TOC spec (with \t in place of tabs):

\t<$chapnum> \t<$paratext> \t\t\t\t<$pagenum>

(The initial tab, in case you're wondering, is to right-align the chapter numbers. The multiple tabs before <$pagenum> are to properly handle multi-line chapter titles.)

The TitleChapter pgfs don't have autonumbers, hidden or otherwise, but they have a <$chapnum> value associated with them (via the document numbering properties) by virtue of which file they're in.

This works perfectly as long as there is only on chapter (and thus chapter title) per file.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom