Error when importing Visio objects to FM 7.2

Art Campbell art.campbell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 06:32:22 PDT 2011

Yeah, people have been seeing that message for several years.

This is a result of Microsoft's initial faulty OLE implementation,
compounded by the re-write of OLE that they released in XP SP3, which
totally broke the Adobe OLE handling. Bottom line is it didn't work
years ago, it still doesn't work (especially if you're trying to make
do with FM 7 which has the antique OLE handling code embedded), and it
isn't going to work with your mix of software.

Best bet is to SaveAs from Visio to PDF or another graphic format and
import the graphics by Reference -- not copying them in.

OLE does seem to be working with W7 and FM10... but it's not a
technology that most people would have at the top of their "Reliable"
list.

Cheers,
Art

Art Campbell