Stupid question #843: Importing a SINGLE paragraph style from another FM file?

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 22 03:32:01 PDT 2011

At 14:41 +0000 19/8/11, Harding, Daniel B wrote:

>FM10 (Win7 64-bit)
>
>I'm lost on this one: I want to import/copy a single paragraph style definition from one FM file to another. Just that one style, no others, and no content.
>
>How do I do this?

Not a stupid question at all. In addition to Fred and other's responses, if you want to import a single (or multiple) style across a whole book or books, try this:

. Copy the document that contains the style you want to propagate. This will be your 'seed' document for the new/revised style.

. Open the copy and delete all the styles except the one of interest ('Delete' from the relevant palette).

. Import across the book(s) from that document, choosing character, paragraph or table format import as appropriate (File > Import > Formats).

. Discard the copied document that acted as the 'seed' for the new style definition.

If the style doesn't already exist in the book(s), it will be added to the relevant catalog for each document in the book. If the style does exist in the book(s), the imported style will overwrite the existing style of the same name.

Obviously you can do this as well for multiple styles.

If you find yourself doing this a lot, SiliconPrairie's very reasonably priced plug-ins (Character Tools, PAragraph Tools and Table Tools) offer a command to delete all styles of the relevant type that are not used in a document.

[These instructions are for pre-FrameMaker v 9 versions: I'm not sufficiently familiar with the new interface to know where you go to delete styles in v 10, but it'll be somewhere.]

--
Steve