Restore numbering properties for Appendices in large book

Tue Aug 23 06:58:07 PDT 2011

Carol Gosnell wrote:

> I have been working on a large User Guide for a software release and
> concurrently have been updating the templates to coordinate with
> RoboHelp. I didn't think there were any changes that would affect the
> numbering properties, but suddenly, when I updated my book, all the
> appendices are labeled A. No matter what I specify in the numbering
> dialog boxes, there is no change. I have tried importing the Document
> Properties from an earlier version where the numbering still is
> behaving correctly. Now I have two non-contiguous appendices that show
> B, but all the rest are still A.

In the book window, select the first appendix, right-click, and select Numbering. On the Chapter tab of the Numbering properties dialog, verify that Chapter # is selected and set to 1 and that Format is set to ALPHABETIC (N). Click Cancel. Now select the remaining appendices, right-click, and select numbering. On the Chapter tab of the Numbering properties dialog, select Continue Numbering From Previous File in Book. Click Set.

HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.