Translation cost comparison

Syed Zaeem Hosain (Syed.Hosain@aeris.net) Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Thu Feb 24 09:47:28 PST 2011

Hi, Roy.

We used a translator in Mexico to convert our technical specification docs from English to Spanish for release to our customers in Mexico. As I recall, their rates were identical for Word or FrameMaker files - these were all technical documents, with very limited graphics or drawing content.

They did a very good job of maintaining the format in the documents (did not change the character or paragraph templates that I had) and made it look like my originals. Without doing silly things ... like adding space between paragraphs, for example (my pet peeve of people who hit the return key twice rather than set the paragraph format properly).

One of the things I especially liked about them was that when we first approached them, they only used Word at their facility, and could only do some of our translations from folks here who use Word. But they were also motivated enough to go buy a copy of FrameMaker and start using it for our work! Good Stuff(tm)! :)

Anyway, to get back on topic, the translation rate was the same for both Word and FrameMaker documents - the probably found it easier for FrameMaker documents, since the templates don't change from under you when you are editing (like in Word - argh!).