So Frustrated... Frame Drawing objects -> .mif conversion with r/w rules

Margaret Lee mlee at amblerllc.com
Wed Jan 12 08:45:38 PST 2011

It has been a long time since I have spent this much time trying to
figure out a function in FrameMaker.

Here is what I expect to happen.

I have an .xml file that I can open in FrameMaker and edit the
graphics using the frame graphic tools.

Upon save, it would save the anchored frame as .mif using the entity
name only with no counting.

I can reopen the xml file, make a change and upon save, the graphics
are still named the same.

****Errors****

- entity names continue to number.

- I can save the xml file successfully but I can not read back into FrameMaker.

(VERY CURIOUS ERROR. When I try to read it back into FrameMaker it
will not open and gives no error but at this point FrameMaker is
completely crashed. Any file I try to open is a white sheet.)

Below are the details of my application. If anyone has time to pick
through these details and me find a solution, it is greatly
appreciated.

Margaret

FM9.0p255
XP Service Pack3
I open and save to test my application using a .xml file, not .fm
I have a structured file with anchored frames with frame drawings.

****XML Declaration*****

<!NOTATION mif     SYSTEM "">
<!ENTITY egmevtdelay SYSTEM "egmevtdelay.mif" NDATA mif>
<!ENTITY captpacedetect SYSTEM "captpacedetect.mif" NDATA mif>
<!ENTITY noncaptpacedetect SYSTEM "noncaptpacedetect.mif" NDATA mif>
<!ENTITY intratechgint SYSTEM "intratechgint.mif" NDATA mif>
<!ENTITY ccratechgint SYSTEM "ccratechgint.mif" NDATA mif>
<!ENTITY startupint SYSTEM "startupint.mif" NDATA mif>
<!ENTITY shutdownint SYSTEM "shutdownint.mif" NDATA mif>
<!ENTITY actvcap SYSTEM "actvcap.mif" NDATA mif>
<!ENTITY biphasicdel SYSTEM "biphasicdel.mif" NDATA mif>
<!ENTITY boostvcap SYSTEM "boostvcap.mif" NDATA mif>

****XML Graphic Element****

<GRAPHIC entity = "egmevtdelay" position = "below" align = "acenter"
    cropped = "0" float = "0" width = "7.000in" height = "4.160in"
    angle = "0.000" nsoffset = "0.000in"/>

****structapps.fm*****

In the structapps.fm file I have also defined (with same definitions
as above) Entities in the XMLApplication Entities -> Entity ->
EntityName & FileName

****template for xml application****

On the reference page I have filled out the Entity Declarations, List
of Processing Instructions(PI)

mif is the Notation declaration and I have the Name, Type, System, and
Notation filled out in the Entity Declaration.

*****r/w rules*****

element "GRAPHIC" {
  is fm graphic element;
   writer anchored frame export to file "$(entity).mif"
    as "MIF";
}