Wikis vs FM

Alan T Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Sun Jan 23 10:29:10 PST 2011

Mathieu,

It is difficult to compare chalk and cheese as they are two different
substances that can be used for different things, are created through
different processes, have differing feel and texture, and are composed
of different properties.

Many of those properties either do not match or are in conflict, for
example FM is a publishing tool whereas a wiki is more of a tool for
information sharing, deiberation, and so on. Any capabilities a wiki
may have for publishing in alternative formats to having on-screen
readability exist outside those. I think a wiki can be a single source
of data, the real question is, how much effort is available to make it
such?

I don't know if anyone has made a direct comparison of properties,
features, etc. between application but I would presume the first place
to start is to consider what are the practical requirements of the
people who will be using the information and then what tools are best
equipped to deliver them.

Good luck
Alan

On 23/01/2011, at 10:04 AM, Tim Pann wrote:

> I don't know if I'm a good data point but my company, a telecom,
> adopted a wiki (JBoss I think) as essentially our knowledge base and
> it was a miserable failure. You could attach files but existing
> content could not be easily "ported" into the interface, and there
> were all kinds of things we needed it to do that it couldn't do.
> They abandoned it a while back in favor of Sharepoint.
>
> So, I can't really answer your questions point by point but I can
> say we had a bad experience trying to put what we had into a wiki.
>
> On the upside, I did write the user guide for it, and that was
> really cool. That probably doesn't help you though. :)
>
> Tim

Alan T Litchfield
AlphaByte
PO Box 1941, Auckland, 1140