Re: AW: Smart Quotes?

Roger Shuttleworth rshuttleworth at avbasesystems.com
Tue Jul 5 07:27:47 PDT 2011

Hello Winfried and Michelle

Thanks so much for the tip regarding the maker.ini. The original setting was:
SmartQuotes=`'"" (sorry, can't reproduce the angles in this email format)

I changed it to:
SmartQuotes=\xd4\xd5\xd2\xd3 )  ;English curved quotes

BTW, that ) really is there, though I have no idea what it accomplishes, or why it doesn't break things!

This solved the problem. Now it makes no difference whether Smart Quotes is on or off; I still get the correct characters.

I had this problem with both Minion Pro (open type) and Times New Roman (open type). These are fonts that I have used for years in FrameMaker without a problem, so there is no doubt that the glyphs exist. I didn't try any other fonts, but I suspect they would have had the same problem. The issue first arose about six months ago, long after I started using FM9, but has been consistent ever since that time. The up side is that in the process I learned the Alt codes for single and double curly quotes :)

The other issue of keyboard shortcuts not working is also frustrating. When I start FM they work. Then after a time, they stop. I have been unable to narrow it down to any cause. It confirms the impression that, unlike earlier versions, FM9 is flaky (or as someone on the list recently described it, "a dog").

Thanks again.

Roger Shuttleworth
Technical Documentation
AV-BASE Systems Inc.