Retrospectively standardising the styles across my book

Roger Shuttleworth rshuttleworth at avbasesystems.com
Thu Jun 9 07:47:12 PDT 2011

Hi Andy

  As a newcomer to FrameMaker, you are coming across a number of paradigm shifts. No worries; like riding a bike, you only have   to learn them once. Kudos to you for teaching yourself.

  FM knows no document/template distinction such as you have in Word. Any FM document can function as a template. What you need to do is to get one document to be as you want it - para formats, character formats, table formats, etc. Then strip out all the content and save it in your FM installation\Templates folder. Then when you do File, New, create your new files from it.

Having said that, there are some considerations that arise if you want to retrospectively bring your old docs up to par with the new template. When you import formats from one file to another (say from your new template into your old docs), any formats that have the same name (case-sensitive!) will be overwritten and updated. Any other formats that are not represented in your template will remain intact. So your old docs will *add* the template's formats to themselves while keeping any extra formats that they possess (hope I'm making that clear!).

As a consequence of this, you have two choices:
1. In your new template, use the same format names as you have in your old docs - just the definitions will be different. When you import into your old docs, all the old docs' formats will be overwritten.
2. If you use new format names in your template: import the template formats into your old docs, then use a plugin to delete the old, unused formats. There are free or inexpensive plugins that will do that for you (or you can do it manually, but that's a chore). Google "SiliconPrairieSoftware", "Cudspan tools", "FrameMaker plugins", etc. and you will find several.

Hope this helps.

Roger

Roger Shuttleworth
Technical Documentation