Font oddity

Fri Mar 4 14:58:51 PST 2011

Tim Pann wrote:

> Helvetica, Helvetica Narrow, and Helvetica Condensed all show up on my
> list of fonts in Frame (and I use Helvetica frequently). However, my
> WINDOWS/Fonts folder does not contain any Helvetica fonts. What's more,
> I have a little app called FontList that displays all resident fonts in
> a web browser, and none of them show up there either.
>
> The fonts are also available in Word, Excel, and Powerpoint. They are
> NOT showing up in Visio, Photoshop CS2, or Illustrator CS2.
>
> Where is Helvetica coming from? I didn't buy it and I've no idea how it
> got on my computer.

They may not be on your computer. What's your default printer? If it's a physical printer, rather than Adobe PDF, the Helvetica fonts may be resident on the printer. In that case, changing to a different printer that doesn't have Helvetica (and especially to Adobe PDF, which can only use fonts resident on your PC) will trigger "missing font" messages when you open files using those fonts.

Alternatively, they may be on your PC, but not in the Fonts folder. Back before Windows learned how to manage PostScript fonts, they were often installed in their own location (typically, C:\PSFONTS). You might try searching your C drive for files named hv*.pfb.

HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.