Font oddity

Mike Wickham info at mikewickham.com
Fri Mar 4 15:05:12 PST 2011

> Where is Helvetica coming from? I didn't buy it and I've no idea how it
> got on my computer.

Some or all of the Helvetica fonts you listed come hard-wired in
PostScript printers. So you may be picking them up from the printer
driver. Be aware, however, that such fonts are not (usually) actually
installed on your system. The printer driver lets you display and work
with the fonts-- and you will be able to print them to the device where
they are hard-wired-- but you will not be able to embed the fonts in a
PDF, or print to other device that doesn't also have the fonts
hard-wired. That is fixable. These fonts usually also come on the
printer installation disk and _can_ be installed, but it must be done
manually. The installation routine doesn't usually install the fonts.
Then you can embed in PDF or print them to any printer.

Mike Wickham