Font oddity

Klaus Mueller mueller23 at web.de
Fri Mar 4 15:11:39 PST 2011

Hello Tim,

> WinXP
> my WINDOWS/Fonts folder does not contain any Helvetica fonts

Installed/registered/activated fonts does not have to be
located in the windows fonts folder. They can be located
anywhere on your drives.

Open your registry (start menu > Run > regedit) and inspect
the entries in
  "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\
   Type 1 Installer\Type 1 Fonts"
and also in
  "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\
   Fonts".
Any according entries here?

If not:
Although the original "Helvetica" might be provided either
by "resident" printer fonts from your printer driver or by
any legacy mapping entries to Arial in
  "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\
   FontSubstitutes",
Helvetica Narrow and Condensed are probably not.
Anyway: Try changing your default printer in the system control
and/or your current printer in your application (e.g. to Adobe
Acrobat) and check whether those fonts are still available.

Kind regards,
Klaus