DITA file naming conventions

Writer generic668 at yahoo.ca
Thu Nov 3 06:50:17 PDT 2011

As for naming conventions, we name our files with a letter based on the
topic type, all lower case, only underscores to separate "words", and
use a "phrase" that is like an index term according to the content of
the topic, not what manual it goes in. For example:

concept: c_widgets_description_american, c_widgets_description_canadian

reference: r_widgets_parameters
task: t_widgets_parameters_setting
glossary: g_widgets, g_thingmabobs

conref: cr_widget_daily_statistics (that might be a conref for a report name...we also use conrefs for product names)
map: m_productname_users_guide_print

We name ditaval files the same as the corresponding map file and store
them in the same folder with the maps. For example,
m_productname_users_guide_print.ditaval.

We don't use a CMS, so my (small) team shares a folder on my computer. In it we have subfolders to store different topic types:

concepts
conrefs
glossary

graphics