DITA file naming conventions

Scott Prentice sp10 at leximation.com
Thu Nov 3 14:54:46 PDT 2011

The DITA-FMx/XDocs connector presents the topic and map files with both
filename and title in either order.

Since we're on the subject of tools and file naming options ..

DITA-FMx provides numerous ways to automate the file naming for new
files using building blocks that can be assembled in many ways. In the
New DITA File dialog, you enter the title of the new file, and the
filename can be generated from that text using one of 6 title-based
building blocks. You can also use a building block that includes a
unique ID (which matches the ID of the new topic being created). There
are also building blocks for topic type, date, time, and others. All of
these can be combined as well as restricted to a specific number of
characters, as well as being able to include folder specifications (so
your new files end up in the right topic-based folder, if you choose to
go that route). Details are here ..

    http://docs.leximation.com/dita-fmx/1.1/?ditafmx_ref_newfileoptions.html

Personally, I prefer to use unique IDs for filenames, and only access
the files through the map (where you see the topic titles rather than
the filenames). This lets you keep all of the files in one folder and
you never have to look at the file names. No matter what file naming
convention you use (unless it's unique IDs), it breaks down and causes
problems eventually.

Cheers,

...scott

--