Pulling cover information for Running H/F

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 2 07:45:23 PDT 2011

The Running H/F variables were not designed for this purpose. They are actually much more powerful than this simple taks, because they are deisgned to pick up information that changes from file to file within a book or from page to page within a file. What you are trying to accomplish is a much simpler goal--inserting the same static content in the header or footer of every page. There are two fairly direct ways to accomplish this: user variables and cross-references.

If your chapter files will always be used as components of the same book, you can use cross-references in the header or footer to pick up the conent of any paragraph in any other file in the book, such as the VersionDoc and VersionSoft paragraphs in your cover page file. This approach has a few disadvantages. If you will be using any of your chapter files in more than one book, the approach doesn't work very well because the x-refs are always linked to a target file with a specific name and path location relative to the chapter file. This approach also creates a flock of x-refs that need to update in each file every time you open the file, which means slower opening. And when you create a PDF of your book, you'll wind up with hyperlinks from the headers/footers to the cover page, which are unnecessary and potentially disconcerting for users.

The most direct and easily maintainable approach is to use a user variable for the desired strings and to use those variables wherever the string needs to appear--including the cover page itself. In other words, you'd type the document version and software version strings in the Variables dialog rather than in the body page of the cover page file. Then you'd use File>Import>Formats to import the variable definitions from the title page into all of the chapter files (a single-step operation if you do it from the book file). Using this approach and making the step of importing variables a standard part of your procedure for preparing a book for publication makes it quite easy and fairly foolproof to share some chapter files (e.g., overviews, glossaries, bibliographies or reference lists) among multiple books.

-Fred Ridder