FrameMaker 9 keyboard weirdness

Roger Shuttleworth rshuttleworth at avbasesystems.com
Mon Oct 3 06:03:31 PDT 2011

Hi Shlomo

Gay and I had some correspondence about this, as I had the same problem some time ago. I was able to fix my own problem a few weeks back by doing what you recommend (as a result of a tip supplied by Dr. Winfried Reng).

However, in comparing notes with Gay, we both appear to have had the same problem - corruption of the Asian font settings in maker.ini. So, for example the line that reads:

Ryumin, *, *, *=MS 明朝, *, *, *

would read:

Ryumin, *, *, *=?? ??, *,  *, *

Question marks were substituted for all Asian font glyphs as well as the "MS" part of each line.

I have no idea how this corruption occurred, though it Gay's case (I believe) it was caused by opening the maker.ini in Wordpad and resaving it from there (she may confirm).

Since last week I have replaced my own maker.ini with a colleague's and all now works well again; this is *without* the changes that you recommend. The SmartQuotes section is restored to its original form, that is:

; Smart Quote Characters
; SmartQuotes \xd4\xd5\xd2\xd3 )  English curved quotes
; SmartQuotes \xe2\xd4\xe3\xd2 )  German-style quotes with base quotes
; SmartQuotes \xd5\xd5\xc7\xc8 )  French-style quotes using guillemets
; SmartQuotes \xd5\xd5\xd3\xd3 )  Swedish- and Finnish-style quotes
; SmartQuotes \xd4\xd5\xd2\xd3 )  Italian curved quotes
;
; English curved quotes:
SmartQuotes=‘’“”

Regards,